Scholarship Information Updated 9/18/18
I will list new scholarship applications and links on the Counselor Information page as I receive them. I will also send information through your senior English classes.
Listed below are available scholarships and deadlines for this year:
1) Arkansas Association of Federal Coordinators - Applications should be available online after the first of the year. All seniors are eligible to apply. As of September 18, 2018 the updated application is not yet available.The link for the scholarship is as follows:http://www.theaaea.org/page/AAFCScholarship
2) American Legion Scholarship - Deadline March 15 - Counselor's Office
3) Coca Cola Scholars Foundation Scholarship - Deadline October 31, 2018. Apply at Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation Scholarship
4) Students who earn concurrent credit through Arkansas Tech while in high school are eligible for a $500 scholarship when they enroll at ATU. As long as they successfully complete one course before graduating high school, they should be eligible for the scholarship as an entering freshman.
5) Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund - apply online at www.aspsf.org Deadline for fall semester is September 1.
6) Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship - (Lottery) - Requirements: Starting with the class of 2016, the only requirement is 19 on the ACT or ACT equivalent score. FAFSA is required. Deadline June 1. Apply at Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship All the programs administered by the Arkansas Department of Education will be listed here and a place where you can apply. You will first have to create an account at You Universal. This is the first place the application link will take you. Let me know if you have any questions.
7) Governor’s Distinguished Scholarship - High School The Governor’s Distinguished Scholarship is the most academically rigorous scholarship program offered for those graduating seniors scoring either 32 on the ACT or 1410 on the SAT, and a 3.50 academic grade point average. Those who are named National Merit Finalists or National Achievement Scholars may qualify without meeting the GPA requirement, but must still meet the ACT/SAT requirement. The scholarship pays tuition, mandatory fees, room and board up to $10,000 per year. Requirements: At least a 32 ACT (1410 SAT) and a 3.5 GPA to apply. FAFSA not required. Award Amount: $10,000 per year. Apply at scholarships.adhe.edu.
8) Law Enforcement Officers’ Dependents Scholarship (LEO) - Other
LEO provides a waiver of tuition, fees, and room at any public college, university, or technical institute in Arkansas for dependents and spouses of Arkansas law enforcement officers, some Highway and Transportation Department employees, and other public employees, who were killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty. Award Amount: See overview page for Awards Information. Apply at scholarships.adhe.edu.
9) Military Dependents Scholarship (MDS) - Other
MDS provides a waiver of tuition, fees, room and board at any public college, university, or technical institute in Arkansas for dependents and spouses of Arkansans who were killed or missing in action or who were prisoners of war or who are totally and permanently disabled. Award Amount: See overview page for Awards Information. Apply at scholarships.adhe.edu
10) Arkansas Future Grant (ArFuture) - High School - Non-Traditional Students
Arkansas Future (ArFuture), is the newest state grant program. The purpose of this grant is to increase the education and skills of Arkansas’s workforce in an affordable manner. The grant applies to students enrolled in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) or regional high demand areas of study. The grant will cover tuition and fees for qualifying certificate and Associate degree programs at Arkansas’ public institutions for eligible students. The grant is available on a first come, first serve basis. Qualifying Degree Programs Apply at scholarships.adhe.edu Requirements:
An Applicant must:
- Have either graduated from an Arkansas public school, private school, home school or received high school equivalency diploma approved by the Department of Career Education; or
- Verify that he or she has resided within the state for the three (3) years immediately preceding application and has either: Graduated from an out-of-state high school, private school, home school or received a high school equivalency diploma approved by another state.
- Be enrolled part-time or full-time at an approved institution of higher education in a program of study that leads to an associate degree or a certification in a STEM or regional high demand field.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Apply at scholarships.adhe.edu
11) Gary Sewell Scholarship - Must be returned to Union County Farm Bureau (in the office) by March 30.
12) Union County Farm Bureau Scholarship - Must be returned to Union County Farm Bureau (in the office) by April 1st. Family must be a member of Union County Farm Bureau.
13) Union County Community Foundation Scholarships - Apply online at www.uccfar.org Be sure to have all supporting documents available to download. You can go ahead and go to the website and look at the eligibility requirements and the essays that you have to write. Then you will be ready to apply when the application window opens.
14) Barnette-Harris Scholarship - Local Scholarship - Applications in counselor's office
15) El Dorado Service League Scholarships - Applications in counselor's office
16) Lion Federal Credit Union Scholarships - Applications in counselor's office
17) Kevin Payne Foundation Scholarship - Information will be available in the counselor's office.
18) James Anderson Foundation Scholarship - Information will be available in the counselor's office.
19) VFW Youth Scholarships https://www.vfw.org/community/youth-and-education/youth-scholarships Deadline: October 31, 2018
20) Win a $2500 Rover Scholarship https://www.rover.com/college-scholarship/ Deadline: May 1, 2019
21) Essay Contests for Ayn Rand’s Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged https://www.aynrand.org/students/essay-contests Deadline: January 15, 2019 and April 25, 2019
22) Discover Student Loans Sweepstakes https://scholarship.collegecovered.com/ Deadline: January 31, 2019
23) Create-A-Greeting-Card Scholarship https://www.gallerycollection.com/greeting-cards-scholarship.htm Deadline: March 1, 2019
24) Getting Real About Distracted Driving Scholarship https://comedydefensivedriving.com/scholarships Deadline: December 31, 2018 (fall contest) and May 31, 2019 (spring contest)
You need to complete your FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov. If you need help doing this, we can set up a time for you and your parents to come up with tax information and we can help you with that. You have to complete the FAFSA in order to complete your application for the Arkansas Academic Challenge (Lottery) scholarship as well as for the Louisiana TOPS Scholarship program. You will be able to do this beginning October 1st.
To apply for the Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship - Go to www.adhe.edu and click on Financial Aid. You will then have to complete your FAFSA form.
To apply for TOPS - Complete your FAFSA. Be sure your ACT scores have been sent electronically to the Louisiana Office of Financial Assistance. The code for this is 1595. You can do this at www.act.org if you did not have your scores sent there originally. School Code for the Northeast Claiborne Charter (NECC) is 991692.
Seniors are allowed two school days during their senior year to visit college campuses without being counted absent provided they meet the following criteria:
- Return the permission slip to the counselor at least two days prior to the visit.
- Notify each class teacher of his/her plans at least three days in advance of visit.
- Seek pre-approval from the college or institution before scheduling college day.
- Have at least a 2.0 average
- Return to school with written proof of visit
- College days will not be granted during seniors final two weeks of school or during semester test weeks.
Junction City High School CEEB Code:
|Test Date||Registration Deadline||(Late Fee Required)|
|October 27, 2018||September 28, 2018||September 29-October 14, 2018|
|December 8, 2018||November 2, 2018||November 3-19, 2018|
|February 9, 2019||January 11, 2019||January 12-18, 2019|
|April 13, 2019||March 8, 2019||March 9-25, 2019|
|June 8, 2019||May 3, 2019||May 4-20, 2019|
|July 13, 2019||June 14, 2019||June 15-24, 2019|
Test Fees: ACT No Writing $50.50
ACT Plus Writing $67.00
*** You will need to use the school CEEB code when registering for the ACT (041-285 for Junction City and 991692 for Northeast Claiborne Charter). If you are a student athlete and you need to send your ACT scores to the NCAA Clearinghouse you will need to provide their code as one of your score reporting choices. The NCAA Code is 9999. If you are a Claiborne Parish student, you must list the score report code 1595 for the Louisiana Tuition Opportunity Program (TOPS). Please use your social security number when registering for the ACT in order to ensure proper identification.
Additional ACT Prep Information:
The following link has free ACT practice tests. Many other practice tests are also available on this web site.
Advanced Placement Exam Schedule
|AP Government (US Government and Politics)||Monday, May 6, 2019|
|AP Literature (English Literature and Composition)||Wednesday, May 8, 2019|
|AP Biology||Monday, May 13, 2019|
|AP Calculus AB||Tuesday, May 14, 2019|
|AP Language (English Language and Composition)||Wednesday, May 15, 2019|
NCAA Clearinghouse - College-bound student athletes in the junior and senior classes need to register with the NCAA Elibibility Center if they plan on participating in college athletes. Early registration promotes positive planning and involvement, eliminates the last-minute rush, and helps college-bound athletes avoid issues that may delay their academic and amateur certifications. Register online at www.eligibilitycenter.org .
NAIA Schools - The NAIA has also started an eligibility center. It is required if you plan on attending a NAIA school and participating in athletics. It is very similar to the NCAA Eligibility Center. To see a list of NAIA schools go to http://naia.cstv.com. You can even have them listed by state.
College Preview Days
Seniors must obtain college visitation passes from the counselor's office at least two days prior to the visit. They must notify each class teacher of his/her plans at least three days in advance of the visit.
Helpful Web Sites
www.act.org - Once you get to this site click on “The Test.” You can then create a student web account that will allow you to:
*Register for the ACT (You will need a credit card to do this.)
*View you scores
*Send your scores
*Take practice tests
*Have access to all sorts of valuable information about the ACT
www.adhe.edu – Arkansas Department of Higher Education Web Site- This site provides access to information about Higher Education across the state of Arkansas. This is also the web site that allows students to access the Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship Application. (Arkansas Lottery)
www.fundmyfuture.info – Financial Resources to address critical career needs in Arkansas. There is information as well as a free scholarship search at this web site.
www.asla.info Arkansas Student Loan Authority – This site provides information about loans as well as scholarships. There are links here to other scholarship searches.
www.fastweb.com Scholarship Search
***Important Note: Avoid any scholarship search that charges a fee.
www.collegeboard.com This site has information for students, parents, and teachers. There is also a scholarship search available here.
www.aspsf.org Single Parent Scholarship Fund
www.scholarships.com Free college scholarship search & financial aid information
The Arkansas Student Loan Authority (ASLA) is pleased to announce enhancements to their free scholarship search on Fund My Future which can be viewed at www.fundmyfuture.info. Fund my future is a financial resource to address critical career needs in Arkansas and also houses a free scholarship search database. A new feature on the scholarship search is "Backpack". Students may save and track results by creating their own Backpack account.